Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

This is an "eyeball" dish, with hundreds of variations. I surfed the internet for ingredient ideas, picked and chose from a few, added my own ingredients, and came up with this:

  Chicken Pot Pie with Homemade Crust
Crust*:
1 1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 stick butter, chilled and diced
1/4 tsp salt (which I'm pretty sure I forgot in mine...)
1/4 c. ice water
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Herbs de Provence
1 tsp pepper

I used my Kitchen Aid mixer & the batter paddle to mix the flour and butter until it resembled a coarse, crumbly texture. Then, I added the salt and spices. Finally, I gradually added the ice water. You're looking for a slightly damp, not sticky, but not crumbly consistency. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. When you're ready to use it, roll it out onto a floured surface. I had more than enough for the top crust. And I used cookie cutters to make the stars.
     *I only used a top crust, to make it healthier.
Buttery Crust with Star Cut-outs


Filling:  

1/3 c. butter
1/3 c. flour
2 c. fat free milk (approximate)

2 chicken breasts, fully cooked and shredded (I used the Crockpot leftovers from earlier this week)
1 cup grated carrots (about a handfull)
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 c. onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp. dried rosemary
1 tsp. dried sage
S&P to taste

Start by making the sauce. There are many ways you could make this depending on what your desired outcome is. I was going to use chicken broth, but I forgot to buy it, so I used milk instead. Melt the butter and whisk in the flour. It will be pasty and light brown. Then, gradually add the milk or broth. Make sure you're constantly whisking the mixture over medium heat and that you're adding the liquid gradually. Add everything else. Keep stirring and give everything a few minutes to warm through. Preheat oven to 375. Pour into glass pie dish. Top with crust. Bake approximately 35-45 minutes, until crust is lightly browned. For a prettier crust, brush with egg.


Cut like a pizza, it made 8 wedges and held together relatively well without a bottom crust. We each had a wedge with a side of steamed green beans, sprinkled lightly with lemon juice, pepper, and parmesagn cheese.

It's a really easy meal, although it is a little messy. It's very easy to modify and experiment with as well. I think it tastes better with fresh or frozen vegetables as opposed to canned. Always use fully cooked chicken in dishes like this to avoid the potential of food poisoning.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment