Monday, February 20, 2012

$3 Chicken Dinner for Two!

We all have those weeks. Unexpected bills creep up, hours get cut at work, we're stressed and short of time. Things happen. We feel aggravated and want to hit up the drive through or we scrounge the fridge for leftovers that aren't growing mold yet. But when we have those nights, one of the simplest "cures" in my opinion is to still have a nice meal. Nice doesn't have to mean expensive or complicated.

I was recently at Kroger and I saw chicken drumsticks for $1.52 (with card)! Of course, I had to buy them! And, revelation time, this was the first time I have EVER cooked chicken drumsticks, so I nuked those suckers well beyond done-ness just to err on the safe side. They were so simple to make though! In a glass baking dish, I soaked them in buttermilk (which I had on hand, optional) for about 15 minutes. Then, I used some blackening seasoning, sea salt, and pepper to season them. Finally, I grilled them over medium heat for 30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes.

While at Kroger, I also happened to find two ears of corn for 33 cents each. Unfortunately, they weren't very good. And I steamed frozen broccoli I had on hand and seasoned with 1 Tbsp of butter, a squirt of lemon juice, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Yum!

Other things you could pair with chicken drumsticks and still stay under the $3 mark:
-Rice
-Canned baked beans
-Frozen vegetables
-Boxed mac-n-cheese
-Dinner rolls

(Picture to come later!)

Thanks for reading, guys! The next time you're counting nickles and tempted between McD's dollar menu and Ramen noodles, remember this as a meal option!

No comments:

Post a Comment